Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccines
Theory-Based Intervention Development
The national guideline recommend completion of the 2-dose human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine series before the 13th birthday; however, this recommendation is poorly implemented in primary care, and interventions to increase implementation of this guideline have had little impact. We used a theory-informed approach to identify facilitators and barriers for implementation of the HPV vaccine guideline in primary care practices, and to identify strategies to address these behaviors. The intervention targets provider behavior change and was designed to be delivered using practice facilitation, educational outreach visits, and cyclical small tests of change.
Garbutt JM, Dodd S, Walling E, Lee AA, Kulka K, Lobb R. Theory-based development of an implementation intervention to increase HPV vaccination in pediatric primary care practices. Implement Sci. 2018 Mar 13;13(1):45.
- [4.4.2018] Pilot testing of intervention in progress.
- [4.4.2018] NIH grant submitted for further evaluation of intervention.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Selected Literature
- Holman DM, Benard V, Roland KB, Watson M, Liddon N, Stokley S. Barriers to human papillomavirus vaccination among US adolescents: a systematic review of the literature. JAMA pediatrics. 2014;168(1):76-82. [PMID: 24276343] [PMCID: PMC4538997] [PDF]
- Niccolai LM, Hansen CE. Practice- and Community-Based Interventions to Increase Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Coverage: A Systematic Review. JAMA pediatrics. 2015;169(7):686-692. [PMID: 26010507] [Full-Text]
- Perkins RB, Clark JA, Apte G, Vercruysse JL, Sumner JJ, Wall-Haas CL, et al. Missed opportunities for HPV vaccination in adolescent girls: a qualitative study. Pediatrics. 2014;134(3):e666-674. [PMID: 25136036] [PDF]
- Perkins RB, Zisblatt L, Legler A, Trucks E, Hanchate A, Gorin SS. Effectiveness of a provider-focused intervention to improve HPV vaccination rates in boys and girls. Vaccine. 2015;33(9):1223-1229. [PMID: 25448095] [PDF]
- Sanders Thompson VL, Arnold LD, Notaro SR. African American parents' HPV vaccination intent and concerns. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2012;23(1):290-301. [PMCID: PMC3498955] [PDF]
- Thompson VL, Arnold LD, Notaro SR. African American parents' attitudes toward HPV vaccination. Ethnicity & disease. 2011;21(3):335-341. [PMID: 21942167] [PMCID: PMC3498955] [PDF]